Wednesday 21 November 2007

Feeling at home ... all it takes is a 'hello'


I have just returned from Manila in the Philippines. My first trip to the country.
From my first reaction it felt like another Asian country and I felt, once again, like another outsider ...
Until the first local spoke to me in easily understood well spoken English ( ... a street vendor.)
Despite being a long way from home I have never before realised just how close to home a "Hello'' can bring you. The fact that the Philippinos could communicate and understand me so well was a very comforting feeling.
Its obvious I know, but until one is starved of something one never appreciates it's importance.
I cant help but think that Asian countries that have strong English skills are surely those that will be easiest to do business with, and therefore will succeed over neighbours who are more difficult to communicate with and understand.

No comments: